what ecu?

Post information for engine swaps, transmission swaps and anything else that covers engine and driveline information.
jdmpr
Wagoneer

what ecu?

Postby jdmpr » January 22nd, 2015 09:27 AM

Just found out that I have a bad ecu on my 91 lx wagon 5 speed, can i use one from a sedan 5 speed?

John

Re: what ecu?

Postby John » February 11th, 2015 09:40 PM

Yes, they are the same (although EX will be different)
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » February 11th, 2015 11:13 PM

I saw a DIY on CB7 where the guy took apart either the TCU or ECU and removed and replaced the resistors (capacitors?) Can that be done? All he did was used a good soldering gun and the correct replacements that could be bought at a electronic store. I'm 100% not electronic but it looked doable and I have a really good electronic store here in Van Nuys,CA called All Electric that has bins of stuff.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

John

Postby John » February 12th, 2015 11:09 PM

I'm far from an expert on modifying ECUs (I paid PureTuning in Toledo to modify mine). But I think there are some signals from the TCU for the automatic transmission that the ECU for an automatic is expecting. Thus, an automatic ECU won't work properly with a manual transmission, as it doesn't have a TCU and thus the ECU will throw error codes and not work properly. However, if you remove or by-pass two resisters in the automatic ECU, then it won't look for the TCU signals and it will work with the manual.

Or, you can just buy an ECU that's designed for the manual.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » February 13th, 2015 04:44 AM

How I always do any repairs: cars, home or not. I replace with the exact same of what I removed. When it deals with Honda cars, trust that a crew of extremely intelligent men got together every day and put 100% of their thought into the quality of the product. For a Japanese tech to do less than perfect is national shame. So the part they use I know is the part that belongs there. The techs say to use only Honda oil; Not because they want to make a profit. They spent hours and hours testing. If they say so, it's so.
Steve M
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!