SRS CONTROL UNITS

Post information for engine swaps, transmission swaps and anything else that covers engine and driveline information.
wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

SRS CONTROL UNITS

Post by wagon97 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:48 am

Anybody know for sure what SRS control unit Module will fit an EX 97 accord wagon. I read that the sedans are different from wagon. Is that true. Part numbers have changed over the years and some seem to be the same as the sedans.

I read Something about M2 for sedans M3 for wagons.

I am throwing a code 8-5 once in awhile. Any help much appreciated!!

ex-r-wagon
Ruler of Wagons !

Re: SRS CONTROL UNITS

Post by ex-r-wagon » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Yup, wagon SRS units are different than sedan units and '94~'95 wagon units are different than '96~'97 units. I had the Same '85' code on my '96 wagon when I bought it back in 04. I reset the SRS light but it would come back in a few months, then a few weeks and then every day. The only solution was to replace the SRS unit. I lucked out and found a correct wagon unit (with both air bags) on eBay and installed the complete set. Haven't had any SRS lights since (over 8 years now). My feeling is that there is a component in the SRS unit that is going out of tolerance due to age and it throws a code. Looking up the code in the shop service manual just tells you to replace the SRS unit with a known good unit. Not really much help! Make sure any replacement unit you look at has SV5 as part of the part number. Without SV5 it's not a wagon SRS unit (and you will need to locate the '96~'97 part number too 06772-SV5-A30).
'91 Red EX-R wagon with ALL the factory options. '96 Green Lx wagon with an H22a 5 speed! What's better than one wagon, two wagons!

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Post by wagon97 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks for the reply Ex-r. It’s hard to find info on the SRS especially the wagon.

I actually found one of your old posts mentioning the difference between sedans and wagons. You mentioned M3 for wagons and M2 for sedans. Somewhere else on the web someone else mentioned the same thing.

But what is confusing me is that the OEM Honda part dealers online catalogs show the same part numbers for 96 97 ex wagons as the sedans. The newest number is 06772-SV5-A30 like you mentioned. Then there are like 4 older part numbers that the sedan and wagon both match.
Could they be same part number and programmed differently????

I think I most likely will need a control unit also and if I can find a good used one I will. I Just do not want to get the wrong one.

Did your SRS light only go into fault when starting your car??

That is only time when mine goes into fault. Now I turn the key to II (on) first wait till SRS goes out (6 sec test) then I start the engine. So far so good. If that continues to work I will clean all +/- (Battery and Engine grounds) main connections. Maybe that will help with slight voltage drops.

I also believe the tolerance of control unit probably changed.

If you have any more info it would greatly appreciated. Thanks again

ex-r-wagon
Ruler of Wagons !

Post by ex-r-wagon » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:36 am

The SRS control unit has to have SV5 in the middle of the part number to be the correct unit for the wagon. The sedan SRS unit will have SV4 in the middle of the part number and is not the correct unit for a wagon. I seem to recall that "M3" was marked on the wagon SRS control unit. When my SRS control unit failed full time the SRS light would never go out no matter what I did or how many times I reset it. That's when I started to locate a replacement unit. Clean solid grounds can never hurt. For your SRS unit fault only a replacement unit will provide a lasting solution.
'91 Red EX-R wagon with ALL the factory options. '96 Green Lx wagon with an H22a 5 speed! What's better than one wagon, two wagons!

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Post by wagon97 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:06 am

:finga: Thanks I am gonna keep my eye open for a SV5 Thanks

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Post by wagon97 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks for your help and for posting about your SRS problem. I wish more people would post about there problems and fixes here.

In the end it was my control module like you said.

Thanks

ex-r-wagon
Ruler of Wagons !

Post by ex-r-wagon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Glad to hear you got it fixed with a replacement unit.