Engine sluggish

Post information for engine swaps, transmission swaps and anything else that covers engine and driveline information.
wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Re: Engine sluggish

Post by wagon97 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 am

True, he knows he has oil on plugs so that's a known problem and he should fix that as he said he was going to. Its always good to start with something you know for sure is not right. Hopefully that will solve it. But hey I figured I share some personnel experiences similar to his that I have seen twice (both were Toyota pick ups though). I actually had no other problems except with hills. My truck would loose power and hardly make it up hills. I started with the fuel filter and all my problems never returned. I passed that info to a co-worker who started having the same problem and it fixed his truck also. I figure its a cheap maintenance item that should be done anyway and maybe he will get lucky. Basswagon if you do decide to do the fuel filter at some point do not try to clean it, replace it. Lots of items posted that it could be so good luck and post results.

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 pm

It is so fantastic that we have such a pool of knowledge and personal experiences. He is right about not cleaning it....get a new one and be sure. And don't keep us hanging, post what you did and the results so we/you can one day pass this on.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

93basswagon
Wagoneer

Post by 93basswagon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am

Hey guys thanks for all the info. Sorry for the slow responses on this issue but it has been cold and raining for the last 4 days here in maryland. If it stops raining tonight i will fight the cold, get the new gasket set from autozone and install. I also think i am going to sand down and paint the valve cover with high heat paint so it matches my new red accel wires. If the problem persists i will go for it and change the lower gaskets that are shown in the ericthecarguy video that was posted. Does anyone have a link for those gaskets? Or advice on which brand of gasket is best for valve cover kit?

I totally agree with ss how can the spark plugs spark at full function if they are covered in oil. As for the timing belt i just got this car over the summer and have no idea when it was last changed so i will check that out.

Hopefully once the gaskets are changed it will solve my problem because there is oil in 3 of 4 tubes so that is definitely hurting efficiency and power. I will post results as soon as i do the job and i'll post pics of the valve cover if i paint it.

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 pm

3 OF 4 ARE COVERED! HECK DO THAT TUBE FIX BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE!
The round gaskets usually are included in the valve cover gasket kit. Go to any parts store. If you have been declared rich...get it done by mechanic. If you have a warm place to do it..whatever..do it NOW! One in oil is a problem....3 is serious! I bet this is your problem. Do the fix...buy ngk plugs fix it and go on your merry way!
Tip: If you are doing it...a turkey baster is good for sucking all that oil out. I used a medical suction device. Don't use a vacuum unless you plan to throw it away after or it has a catch independent of the internals. Lots of rags and hand cleaner.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

ex-r-wagon
Ruler of Wagons !

Post by ex-r-wagon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 am

93basswagon wrote:Hey guys thanks for all the info. Sorry for the slow responses on this issue but it has been cold and raining for the last 4 days here in maryland. If it stops raining tonight i will fight the cold, get the new gasket set from autozone and install. I also think i am going to sand down and paint the valve cover with high heat paint so it matches my new red accel wires. If the problem persists i will go for it and change the lower gaskets that are shown in the ericthecarguy video that was posted. Does anyone have a link for those gaskets? Or advice on which brand of gasket is best for valve cover kit?

I totally agree with ss how can the spark plugs spark at full function if they are covered in oil. As for the timing belt i just got this car over the summer and have no idea when it was last changed so i will check that out.

Hopefully once the gaskets are changed it will solve my problem because there is oil in 3 of 4 tubes so that is definitely hurting efficiency and power. I will post results as soon as i do the job and i'll post pics of the valve cover if i paint it.
This gasket set will give you everything you need to do the job and it is a good quality Aftermarket part. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350599238664?ss ... 1423.l2649 delivered to your door by the man in brown for less than 20 bucks!
'91 Red EX-R wagon with ALL the factory options. '96 Green Lx wagon with an H22a 5 speed! What's better than one wagon, two wagons!

93basswagon
Wagoneer

Post by 93basswagon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Ok so I am going to replace the gaskets on Saturday. I am hearing a new sound that only happens when opening the throttle (when coasting does not make noise). It sounds like a spraying noise coming from under the foot area of the passenger seat. Sounds like a power washer spray. What is this? I really hope my car is not falling apart piece by piece.

ex-r-wagon
Ruler of Wagons !

Post by ex-r-wagon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:23 pm

93basswagon wrote:Ok so I am going to replace the gaskets on Saturday. I am hearing a new sound that only happens when opening the throttle (when coasting does not make noise). It sounds like a spraying noise coming from under the foot area of the passenger seat. Sounds like a power washer spray. What is this? I really hope my car is not falling apart piece by piece.
Check for an exhaust leak around the catalytic convertor and the joint between the cat and the "B" (mid) pipe.
'91 Red EX-R wagon with ALL the factory options. '96 Green Lx wagon with an H22a 5 speed! What's better than one wagon, two wagons!

Mx-rep
Come on.. Ask me a Wagon Question

Post by Mx-rep » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Check to see if your catalytic converter is clogged. This would give a similar noise because of exhaust pressure being restricted during acceleration, affect your gas mileage, and cause a loss of power. Kinda like stuffing a potato into the exhaust pipe.

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 am

Check for a potato too....LOL!
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

John

Post by John » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Mx-rep wrote:Check to see if your catalytic converter is clogged. This would give a similar noise because of exhaust pressure being restricted during acceleration, affect your gas mileage, and cause a loss of power. Kinda like stuffing a potato into the exhaust pipe.
This was a problem with older catalysts. But Honda has used extremely high quality ceramic substrates in their catalysts since at least the mid-1980s. Catalyst clogging is extremely rare with these modern ceramic substrates.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

93basswagon
Wagoneer

Post by 93basswagon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Hey been over a year and realized I never responded about this problem. I fixed the oil leak into the spark plug tubes all though have not checked it since it was a problem a year ago. Seems fine though.

The exhaust was all clogged up, needed a new CAT and needed the exhaust pipe repaired in front of the cat.

My exhaust has gotten its ass kicked this winter in the north east, so i am going to replace it in the next month or so as it warms up (if it ever does). I am going to replace the whole exhaust with a stainless steel setup from DNA motoring. I know I should be careful with the aftermarket exhausts, but this shit is so cheap I am willing to give it a go and just buy much better gaskets for it. And if the muffler is too loud for my liking I will just replace that last section.

Hope all is well with the wagon community. Cheers!

John

Post by John » Sun May 03, 2015 8:52 am

Good to hear from you. The community is not as active as it used to be, especially with the death of our most enthusiastic member, but we are still going.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)