What are the BEST spark plugs iyho???

Post information for engine swaps, transmission swaps and anything else that covers engine and driveline information.
speedfr3ak
Wagon Owner

Re: What are the BEST spark plugs iyho???

Post by speedfr3ak » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:01 am

ngk i honestly prefer regular ngks no crazy stuff regs work great i know for a fact and it the original! best amount of spark.............imho

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:38 am

COMMAS,USE THEM.jpg
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

f22angel
Wagon Apprentice

Post by f22angel » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:08 pm

BoyHLUB wrote:I've owned a lot of cars in my lifetime (mainly imports about 12 or so) and have tried many brands of plugs ranging from the cheap Autolite to pricy Splitfires. For my 97 CE1, I've only used NGK after experiences with other brands in previous cars. OEM is NGK for Honda although some Japanese cars do come with Denso, such as Toyota.

When I purchased my wagon, it came with a really bad idle with shifter in gear and brakes applied. With the AC on especially it was very annoying and wasn't sure the engine was going to stall or not. I've had to have both front and rear motor mounts due to the problem. I've adjusted the IACV, reset the ECU, done a full tuneup (including new OEM wires, cap and rotor), even had the throttle body taken out and cleaned, but still did not fix this rough idle problem. Last year I changed from regular NGK nickel Vpowers to NGK Iridiums and reset the ECU last year. It helped a little although not a whole lot. Then recently last month I decided to try the NGK double platinums. They are supposedly good for smooth idling as claimed on their website. Thankfully I got them for $35 on ebay shipped because they usually sell for $10-12 per plug. I reset the ECU and let the engine run back to idle. Long behold finally the poor idle went away and I noticed the engine ran much smoother as well as having a slightly better acceleration (could be just mental). Some people may say plugs are just plugs, but after spending hundreds of dollars trying to fix the vibration problem, I am now a true believer that not all spark plugs are born the same.

Sorry for writing a novel, but just wanted to share my experiences with NGK. I agree with Silvershadow, stick with what was designed and recommended for your vehicle. Although they say that the plugs already come pre-gapped, but I never trust them. It's good to always double check the gaps on them before putting them in to ensure that they are at the gap for your vehicle.
Do you know by chance what's the part number for those double platinum spark plugs? For example the OEM ones are ZFR5F-11, I wanna give them a try but i haven't been lucky finding them here, I'll order them but i wanna make sure they're the ones I'm looking for
-1994 Accord Wagon USDM EX
Image Image

John

Post by John » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:50 pm

They keep changing the names - platinum, laser platinum, iridium, laser iridium, double platinum. Hard to know what any of it means.

I ran across a post where an NGK tech was quoted as saying that their platinum plugs have platinum on both the center and ground electrodes, while their iridium plugs only had one precious metal. So, perhaps all NGK platinum plugs are "double" platinum. I could only find the term "double platinum" for some Bosch plugs, not NGK.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

f22angel
Wagon Apprentice

Post by f22angel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:15 am

John wrote:They keep changing the names - platinum, laser platinum, iridium, laser iridium, double platinum. Hard to know what any of it means.

I ran across a post where an NGK tech was quoted as saying that their platinum plugs have platinum on both the center and ground electrodes, while their iridium plugs only had one precious metal. So, perhaps all NGK platinum plugs are "double" platinum. I could only find the term "double platinum" for some Bosch plugs, not NGK.
Thanks for the reply, I already bought a set of laser platinum NGK PZFR5F-11, they should be here in about 2 days, along with the spark plug wires I ordered from the Honda dealer, let's see how the wagon runs!
Image Image

edrock68
General Wagon to you.. soldier

Post by edrock68 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 am

I'm running these NGK laser platinum ones as well and they are awesome ! I wouldn't run any cheap spark plug wires, along with it .Performance has been great using NGK for me.
94 EX Factory 5 Spd.
96 Ex Wagon DD
92 Ex Wagon sold (WBM)
Enjoying the 3 Fives !
Driving, It's not just a Job It's an Adventure !

f22angel
Wagon Apprentice

Post by f22angel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 pm

edrock68 wrote:I'm running these NGK laser platinum ones as well and they are awesome ! I wouldn't run any cheap spark plug wires, along with it .Performance has been great using NGK for me.
My wagon has a smoother idle now it has the OEM wires from Honda and those spark plugs! The only problem I still have is that it idles too low at 500 (the first mark next to 0) sometimes it feels like it wants to die, I already cleaned the IAC, TB, etc and nothing
Image Image

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm

There is an idle speed screw. This is set at the factory and Honda says not to change it, but it can be adjusted. The best writeup I have seen on how to do this is at:
http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/d ... eed-38734/

Note that the Idle-Air bypass screw described at the above link is likely covered by a concealment plug that you will have to pry off.

Good luck!

f22angel
Wagon Apprentice

Post by f22angel » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 pm

John wrote:There is an idle speed screw. This is set at the factory and Honda says not to change it, but it can be adjusted. The best writeup I have seen on how to do this is at:
http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/d ... eed-38734/

Note that the Idle-Air bypass screw described at the above link is likely covered by a concealment plug that you will have to pry off.

Good luck!
I've messed with that screw a thousand times and nothing, I've done the procedure it says in the repair manual, I'll try this other procedure, is very similar the only difference is that I have to let it cool down till I star the car again, I allways start the car just after I put the fuses back in. I hope it fixes it, is there any more thing I should look at besides the idle relearn?
Image Image

John

Post by John » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:57 am

After you set the idle at 550 rpm with the IACV electrical plug disconnected - does the idle rise (to about 750) when you plug the IACV back in? If not, check the plug for proper signals from the ECU. Or you might need to replace the IACV.

f22angel
Wagon Apprentice

Post by f22angel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:48 pm

John wrote:After you set the idle at 550 rpm with the IACV electrical plug disconnected - does the idle rise (to about 750) when you plug the IACV back in? If not, check the plug for proper signals from the ECU. Or you might need to replace the IACV.
No, it does not rise to 750, stays above 500, I have a spare IAC, I already changed it, the ECM as well, how do I know if there are proper signals from the ECM? It doesn't throw a code either, I checked the PGM-FI relay too. This problem started when My timing belt broke and vented some valves, I had the head rebuilded, and since then I've had the idle that low, the car runs great actually besides that
Image Image

John

Post by John » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:50 pm

I've just exhausted my knowledge. All I know is that the idle rpm should rise when the IACV is connected. If it doesn't, I don't have any other suggestions.