What are the BEST spark plugs iyho???

Post information for engine swaps, transmission swaps and anything else that covers engine and driveline information.
HST
Wagon Apprentice

What are the BEST spark plugs iyho???

Post by HST » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:19 pm

I am looking at these NGK G-Power platinum plugs...what is better Iridium, Platinum, Copper, etc??? I just want opinions or what you are running. How much to expect to spend per plug? $20 for a set of 4? What????>
"Buy the Ticket, take the Ride!" -R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson-

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Re: What are the BEST spark plugs iyho???

Post by SilverShadow » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:14 am

Seriously from all the time I spent on these forums this question comes up a billion times. They make so many plugs and claim so many improvements and promise your car will fly. Logic says that the guys who spent hours building and researching our cars knew what they were doing. Japanese are not known to play games with products they work on. They take workmanship to the highest level. That said..the best for our cars are the ones they say to use. Unless you have modified the engine..no need to change what they recommend. NGK's are good ...just use your # plug and gap it right....type is your choice and budget.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

HST
Wagon Apprentice

Post by HST » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks...I realized that after I posted and did a bunch of comparisons on line...just too much. Do you know EXACTLY what plugs they say to use? Are they FROM Honda?
"Buy the Ticket, take the Ride!" -R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson-

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:35 am

Honda Recommends:
Normal driving conditions
ZFR5f-11 (NGK), KJ16CR-L11 (NIPPONDENSO)

Hot climate:
ZFR6F-11 (NGK) ,KJ20CR-L11 (NIPPONDENSO)

Gap: 1.1mm
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

Abcdefranklin
LT. Wagon to you !

Post by Abcdefranklin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:46 pm

After the whole ordeal with not being able to get my spark plugs out I will let you know how I like my NGK V powers and NGK wires.

Yosho
Wagon Apprentice

Post by Yosho » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks for the post SilverShadow... I have to order some of these soon and you saved me having to look up the info or pull a plug. :supz:
- Brad

'94 Honda Accord Wag
'96 Nissan 200sx SE-R
'04 Mazdaspeed Miata
'04 Volkswagen R32

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:27 pm

I think most of our cars ...if you open the hood, there is a sticker on the hood with most of the info there. I got the info from the owners manual I have AND the Haynes. Yet I too have the set up of regular NGK and blue wires. I am 56 and have owned 4 different cars. I have used many different plugs in each; whatever was on sale. I never ever noticed any difference in any after I put them in. Only once when I had this wagon and the plugs and stuff were old, I think some of you remember my post about "shuddering" a solid tune up, and with the plugs mentioned (nippondenso) and the car went...vroooooooooom.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

CDelgado
Ruler of Wagons !

Post by CDelgado » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:19 am

I agree with SS. NGK are the best, period. There is no difference as far as functionality from V thru copper.
I do not recommend the generic brands
Positive transaction:MF Baker, jarhead293, vinelandpd,da9b16, slowagon, Brain'sWagon, jack_lee,5THGENCREATION, RANDALL, INDAKA1, ovh3, theycallmesdz,SilverShadow

http://www.accordwagonclub.com/profile.php?id=8795

da9b16
Come on.. Ask me a Wagon Question

Post by da9b16 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:55 pm

CDelgado wrote:I agree with SS. NGK are the best, period. There is no difference as far as functionality from V thru copper.
I do not recommend the generic brands
AGREED-

If you want to really see an improvement in the way ANY of them work you will have to know exact placement of where the gap is in relation to the intake side of your engine. This was shown on someones site awhile back, if you turn the gap towards the intake side then you will see some HP and MPG increases. These are small nominal gains, but when combined with other things can lead to larger increases. Again, NGK V powers are almost all I use.

EDIT- Scroll down here to "indexing" pt. 4. You will see what I am talking about.... This is straight from NGK as well.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/s ... lation.asp
ImageImageImage

BoyHLUB

Post by BoyHLUB » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:25 am

I've owned a lot of cars in my lifetime (mainly imports about 12 or so) and have tried many brands of plugs ranging from the cheap Autolite to pricy Splitfires. For my 97 CE1, I've only used NGK after experiences with other brands in previous cars. OEM is NGK for Honda although some Japanese cars do come with Denso, such as Toyota.

When I purchased my wagon, it came with a really bad idle with shifter in gear and brakes applied. With the AC on especially it was very annoying and wasn't sure the engine was going to stall or not. I've had to have both front and rear motor mounts due to the problem. I've adjusted the IACV, reset the ECU, done a full tuneup (including new OEM wires, cap and rotor), even had the throttle body taken out and cleaned, but still did not fix this rough idle problem. Last year I changed from regular NGK nickel Vpowers to NGK Iridiums and reset the ECU last year. It helped a little although not a whole lot. Then recently last month I decided to try the NGK double platinums. They are supposedly good for smooth idling as claimed on their website. Thankfully I got them for $35 on ebay shipped because they usually sell for $10-12 per plug. I reset the ECU and let the engine run back to idle. Long behold finally the poor idle went away and I noticed the engine ran much smoother as well as having a slightly better acceleration (could be just mental). Some people may say plugs are just plugs, but after spending hundreds of dollars trying to fix the vibration problem, I am now a true believer that not all spark plugs are born the same.

Sorry for writing a novel, but just wanted to share my experiences with NGK. I agree with Silvershadow, stick with what was designed and recommended for your vehicle. Although they say that the plugs already come pre-gapped, but I never trust them. It's good to always double check the gaps on them before putting them in to ensure that they are at the gap for your vehicle.
--- Live for nothing or die for something. -John Rambo
'97 CE1 EX leather interior-Heather

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Post by wagon97 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:28 pm

"really bad idle with shifter in gear and brakes applied. With the AC on especially it was very annoying"

Hmmm? I also get a vibration like this though more just annoying than serious. Maybe I will give those plugs it a try.

BoyHLUB

Post by BoyHLUB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Wagon97, let me know if they fix the bad idle on your CE1 as well. Over time, the vibration during stop and go local traffic eventually destroyed the front & rear motor mounts. I was skeptical at first but figured that I had nothing to lose since I already tried almost everything else before bringing it to a Honda dealership to investigate. After you change them out (when the engine is cold), reset the ECU and let it warm up 15-20 minutes on its own. It'll self adjust the idle and hopefully the vibration on yours will also be fixed. Good luck!

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 am

BoyHLUB wrote:Sorry for writing a novel, but just wanted to share my experiences with NGK. I agree with Silvershadow, stick with what was designed and recommended for your vehicle. Although they say that the plugs already come pre-gapped, but I never trust them. It's good to always double check the gaps on them before putting them in to ensure that they are at the gap for your vehicle.
Amazing! Someone agrees with me.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Post by wagon97 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey BoyHLUB

So far so good! They hold the idle dead steady when the ac compressor kicks on. My shake was not as bad as yours but it always annoyed me. Thanks for posting this!!!! :finga:

BoyHLUB

Post by BoyHLUB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

wagon97 wrote:Hey BoyHLUB

So far so good! They hold the idle dead steady when the ac compressor kicks on. My shake was not as bad as yours but it always annoyed me. Thanks for posting this!!!! :finga:
Right on brother! It is great news indeed that also worked on yours. Who would've thought that a particular plug would be the fix to such an annoying issue lol.