Automatic Transmissions / Sports Transmission?

General Accord Wagon information
Hodag
Wagon Owner

Automatic Transmissions / Sports Transmission?

Postby Hodag » February 6th, 2017 07:27 PM

Was there some option or are they all the same? There's one advertised locally with a sport transmission and since I've only had sticks, I haven't a clue.

Different for sale, but it shows the 1,2,D3,D4 and there's a lock on it?

Or are they all like this?

John

Re: Automatic Transmissions / Sports Transmission?

Postby John » February 6th, 2017 09:13 PM

I have never heard of a sport automatic for the Accord.

You might be able to adapt the automatic from the 1997-2001 Prelude, which had the H22a engine standard (the 1992-96 Prelude with the H22a engine was manual only). But not only are they rare, but I'll bet it's the same transmissions, just with steeper gear ratios for better acceleration.

So, no, pay no attention to this.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

Hodag
Wagon Owner

Postby Hodag » March 18th, 2017 09:32 PM

Thanks. I don't know if they made up the sports transmission on a 1991 EX or it's the standard transmission with some inventive eBay name on it. I've only had stick Hondas for over 20 years. Girlfriend had a Prelude but that had a + and minus, not numbers. Upshift and downshift.

Car sold, with minor rust, 1991 EX wagon, on eBay for around $2,500 - no mention of conversion or adapted shifter.

I'm still waiting for a stick. :-) I mean I'd even take a 1997 EX four door at this point.

John

Postby John » March 21st, 2017 08:11 PM

Manual wagons are hard to come by, but they do exist. Especially if you are willing to buy an LX instead of an EX (probably 5-10 LX sold with a manual for every EX)
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

LokRobster
LT. Wagon to you !

Postby LokRobster » March 31st, 2017 10:22 AM

The 98-01 SIR Wagon (non-US only) had the Sport Triptronic automatic like the last-gen Preludes. You can tell because it's got kind of a 'squiggle' shape instead of a straight line for the Automatic shift positions. And it'll have a "+" and "-" in addition to the P N D4 D3 2 1 markings.

The 6th Gen SIR Wagon only came with that transmission, though - no stick shift. (and of course RHD and the H23A-VTEC blue top engine).

That photo of the '91 auto interior looks totally normal. My guess is the dude who wrote up the eBay ad thought 'Sport Shift' sounded cool and put it in the description without reality reflecting any of it...

Hodag
Wagon Owner

Postby Hodag » May 10th, 2017 08:58 PM

Yeah typical eBay "rare" and making it up as they go along. I've seen stuff that makes you shiver about coins and collectibles that's imaginary creative writing. :rolleyes:

Anyone know how many 1997 EX wagons were made with the manual, or how to find a real number? I had someone say that here the number tossed around was only 100? WOW! That means rarer (yeah I know I just did it myself) than some of the limited edition sports super cars. Of course demand is important and we are small dedicated numbers. :supz:

And for the LX I'm just as surprised and I don't see many with manual at all. Just automatics.

Ben
LT. Wagon to you !

Postby Ben » May 11th, 2017 11:30 PM

If the 5 on your shift knob is .05% larger than the 4, you do have the unlimited-slip, comfort-shift version that fetches high dollar in the right circles.
Garage: 94 Accord EX wagon 5 speed/ 97 Integra LS hatch 5 speed/ 03 Accord EXL coupe Auto (girlfriend's)

Hodag
Wagon Owner

Postby Hodag » May 15th, 2017 10:15 AM

That ones not mine, it was on eBay. I think it was creative writing. "sports transmission" :-?

I'm trying to find here or anywhere, how many 1997 EX wagons were made with a manual transmission? Someone else on the forum said there may have been a thread about the production numbers? Only 100? I haven't been able to find that information.

Hodag
Wagon Owner

Postby Hodag » May 15th, 2017 10:38 AM

Yes my girlfriend had a Prelude, it was fun. She buys some nice cars, and I drive a Honda Wagon? ;) Well we both like the wagon, pretty attached to it after all these years, many long trips.

Here's the visual on the Triptronic Honda gate. Yes it isn't just straight. Fun to drive with control. But usually just put it in the auto mode. When in the left hand slot it was + or - for gear shifting, up or down, just give it a push. Now that would be the only way for an automatic on the wagon.

Yes pretty much all my cars have been manual transmissions since my first was a Mini Cooper S in 1968. I have had some really dull second cars, mini vans, a Rambler wagon, a Chevy Malibu wagon, Plymouth Volare wagon (really nice slant 6 ran forever) some second hand beetles. But primary cars were Fiat 124, Mazda rotary RX3, VW Thing, a string of Hondas = two identical Wagovans, CRX Si.

The Honda Accord EX wagon I've had for about 16 years, if I remember right.

Best Car I Ever Owned!
=D>

Ben
LT. Wagon to you !

Postby Ben » May 15th, 2017 05:05 PM

There were zero 5 speed EX wagons in 1997. When they introduced the CE-1 the manual was available on both EX and LX models. They did not make or sell many EX 5 speeds so they dropped the option. 1995-97 only had a manual transmission available on LX models.

I have been trying to find any info on production numbers of any sort on CE-1's. I can't even find wagon specific production numbers. I used to work at a Honda dealership and the only help the owner could give me was, "They didn't make many. I think we had one 5 speed EX wagon in 1994."
Garage: 94 Accord EX wagon 5 speed/ 97 Integra LS hatch 5 speed/ 03 Accord EXL coupe Auto (girlfriend's)