I can't part with my wagon.

General Accord Wagon information
Ruby
Wagoneer

I can't part with my wagon.

Postby Ruby » May 21st, 2015 02:11 PM

Hi. I just signed on to this site because I am sad and confused. I have a 95 Honda Accord Wagon EX. I bought it in 2000 from the Marysville plant where it had served as a loaner to Honda exec's visiting the plant. It's my first car and it is a champ. I know you know.

Just recently I lost brake pressure. Looked under the hood and yup, the fluid's gone from the reservoir. Added fluid, pumped the brake pedal, nothing. Likely a leak in the rusted lines, the mechanics say. Quoted me $700 even though the parts are only $75 buck a piece or something. Also need new front rotors and pads, even though those were replaced one year ago. I don't drive every day, so I don't know why they're bad already.

Then there's the slight leak in the radiator. New one of those is $400 incl labor.

Then there's the ABS light that's been on and off since I got the car. Needed a new modulator; I put one in. Light still comes on.

So. It's sitting in the drive. Can't drive her without brakes. And I can't part with it. I called the Honda dealer just to test the waters about value, and the guy said "Maybe you could get $500 for it here, cuz we can't sell it. But more if you trade it in!". They're in the business of taking money, not giving it away.

My car is more valuable to me than it would be anyone else, I'm afraid. But is it time to say good-bye? I thought about donating it, selling it, keeping it. I've never been so emotionally attached to anything. I don't know what to do.

Anyways, thought I'd share since you might understand these feelings. I told the dealer I wish Honda still made the wagon, that I'd driven a 2014 Subaru Outback and it was like driving a couch, that no car has the windows/visibility the Wagon has. I barely have to turn my head to see other cars around me.

I love my car.

Thanks for listening.

Sidewayswolf
Wagon Apprentice

Re: I can't part with my wagon.

Postby Sidewayswolf » June 20th, 2015 11:57 AM

Well don't get rid of it then! Rock auto sells your radiator for cheap and it's an easy job. It's a medium difficulty if you don't know what a radiator is lol. As for the brakes you need to find the leak, look at the master cylinder and the brake booster. See if there is fluid running down the front of the booster.

Let me know!
Chicks are like Voltron! The more you hook up with the better it gets!