Replacement remotes for factory keyless entry system

Post audio, electronic, and interior questions and information here.
Hoosier96EX
Wagoneer

Replacement remotes for factory keyless entry system

Postby Hoosier96EX » December 20th, 2016 09:17 PM

Hi Folks-

My 96 EX Wagon came with factory keyless entry. (I'm assuming it is a factory system. I have the original window sticker and it lists the remote keyless entry option. The remote itself was rectangular, had lock/unlock/panic buttons, had a Honda logo and a rectangular loop a the bottom for your keychain.) A while back I misplaced the remote and I've come to the conclusion it isn't going to resurface anytime soon, if ever.

I've done some searching and there are a lot of replacement remotes out there. Many of them are for a dealer installed system only. Some of the descriptions seem to suggest that remotes for pre-'97 factory systems can only be programmed by a dealer.

Any recommendations on sources for remotes that function with the factory installed system?

Am I going to have to pay a dealer to program it?

John

Re: Replacement remotes for factory keyless entry system

Postby John » December 20th, 2016 10:39 PM

I have a 1997 with the keyless entry - and aftermarket replacement remotes are readily available and easy to program.

Thus, unfortunately, I know nothing about pre-97 remote entry. If they are different from the 1997 remote entry, then I can't help you. Sorry about that.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

Hoosier96EX
Wagoneer

Postby Hoosier96EX » December 21st, 2016 12:23 AM

Thanks anyway, John. Maybe someone who knows more will come along and enlighten us both.

John wrote:I have a 1997 with the keyless entry - and aftermarket replacement remotes are readily available and easy to program.

Thus, unfortunately, I know nothing about pre-97 remote entry. If they are different from the 1997 remote entry, then I can't help you. Sorry about that.

Angrysmileyface
Wagoneer

Postby Angrysmileyface » January 21st, 2017 10:24 PM

I know this might be resolved. However, my 94 ex wagon came with factory keyless. Previous owner didn't have the fobs and I didn't want to spend a fortune so I got 2 aftermarket ones from ebay. No dealer programming was required.

Return to “Audio / Electronic / Interior Tech”