Noob 96 Accord Wagon in the South Bay of LA

Make yourself welcome and introduce yourself to everyone on AWC.
RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Noob 96 Accord Wagon in the South Bay of LA

Postby RustyKungFu » December 27th, 2011 01:42 AM

Hey Everyone. I just picked up a 1996 Accord Wagon EX.

163,395 miles when I picked it up today.

It seems pretty good. I bought it on a whim cause I wanted a wagon to tote stuff around and the dog yet still get good gas mileage. I have a few questions now.

Any who. I drive it from San Bernardino to LA. On I-10 heading west to LA. The engine seemed fine when I bought it but I notice now when I go to pass someone and move over to the fast lane and I notice that when I get about or just a bit beyond 5,000 RPMs that the engine completely bogs down and jumps back up to 4th gear. This car has the F22B1 SOHC 2.2L VTEC engine in it. I haven't been able to check it out, anyone ran into this. I am thinking maybe a bad sensor of some kind because at idle and when driven at lower RPMs the engine runs fine. As far as I can see the CEL is not on but then again it doesn't light up when you start the car either so maybe the bulb is dead or the light was removed. If anyone might know, let me know how to fix this.

Second, is once I hit traffic near Covina the car begin to overheat. I pulled off at the nearest exit and pull into the parking lot and I leave the car in ON with the engine not running while the fan runs to cool it off. I notice some leaking near the battery of coolant. So tomorrow going to source the leak by pressure testing the coolant system, hope it is simple like a pin hole in a line and not something from the radiator. Oh that reminds me one the way just before that something flung up from a car in front of me and hit my front bumper and hood which cracked the paint and left a ding and scratch in the hood. I wonder if this object maybe damaged the radiator.

Lastly, the heater. It doesn't blow all that hot. The fans go on high and it barely gets warm at all with the tempreture dial turned to the highest setting. Possible that the leak in the cooling system could have cause a air pocket and may be trapped in the heater core? Would something like that maybe prevent the coolant from cycling through the heater core? I also notice an orange 6 pin and a blue 4 pin colored harness hanging from the passenger side below the glovebox under dash area.

Other than these things the car drives well. Gonna check it out more in the AM.

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Re: Noob 96 Accord Wagon in the South Bay of LA

Postby SilverShadow » December 27th, 2011 03:43 AM

Welcome to this site and to the world of wagons and Accords. I am in Reseda and there are a few members out your way. Much easier (and everyone knows I'll say this) go back into your Control Panel and enter the location. Why? So you and others can get together to fix problems like you have...and more.
First thing I'd do on that engine is a complete tune up. I don't care what the owner claimed he/she did...unless you helped, you can't be sure they didn't take 409 and just wipe it all!
After that I check it with another road trip. The radiator and all should be looked at for that incident and for age. Idle air valve also can be looked at as well as a few other things.
That connector hanging is where the paper clip goes to check the trouble codes. It hanging suggests someone needed to do just that. The light sometimes won't just flash when you drive but usually does. Buy a 90-93 Haynes Repair Manual and it will explain how to "jump" it and has almost everything you'll need to know how to check the wagon out. It has helped me as well as this place for answers.
Again...spend the $ and get or do a COMPLETE tune up. Enter location for a permanent look at where you are, go to Pacific thread too...and
Welcome!!!!!
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Postby RustyKungFu » December 27th, 2011 03:27 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice of what I ought to do now that I joined here.

I am going to need some serious help. I woke up a bit ago to move the car for street cleaning. Last night it had a slight coolant leak which wasn't terribly bad. Well this morning the engine turns over and then I hear squirting and splashing. I turn it off and look under the car and it leaked out all the oil. It may have done it overnight but most came out when I turned it on. I killed power immediately.

I am at a loss for the moment on what to do. I check the coolant in the radiator its dry. No oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil, which is a good thing as I do not desire a blown head gasket too.

I think the oil pan gasket or maybe oil send or return hose blew out. I can't really tell cause I don't have a ton of tools really or ability to jack the car up and start investigating.

The leaking oil out mean tells me that either oil pressure was too low to open up the second stage of the VTEC but that is not for sure either. The odd thing is last night it wasn't leaking oil.

What I bought last night when I drove it and checked it out, all seemed just fine. Now, its all falling apart. HELP!!!! :'(

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » December 27th, 2011 04:45 PM

You really need to get under that car. Very small simple check would be if someone forgot to put the oil plug on. Also, which was in my case, previous owner ran over concrete parking bar and squished the oil pan. that is just checking stuff...the main stuff other members might know. I would drain the oil..let it sit and then add a quart or two that you won't miss and see where the leak is. I just read alot so my advice is limited. I will guess and say that if the Vtech is not right and oil is leaking, something near the transmission is not bolted down or a seal is broken. I know someone here knows better than me.... or agrees.
Chime in guys and help.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Postby RustyKungFu » December 27th, 2011 05:23 PM

I would but I don't have any jack stands or a jack. There is a cherry picker in the yard though. Where I live the front house has 3 dead cars, 1 wrecked Scion TC, a non running Range Rover and a VW Jetta that won't pass smog. My neighbor has a mobile mechanic come work on his cars so I might give him a ring. I would rather have some help from a well informed Honda owner and turn the wrench myself if possible just so I know what is what on the car.

Oh I got the manual you mentioned, gotta love the internet!!!! Going to stat scanning through it in a bit.

RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Postby RustyKungFu » December 27th, 2011 06:03 PM

Just checked now. There is not only a cherry picker in the yard, there is also a engine stand. How can there be those tools but not a jack stand?!?!?!

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » December 27th, 2011 11:52 PM

I don't know too much about that stuff but I could drive there and give you some support! Unfortunately the major work mechanic I use is up in Valencia and not too cheap. But 100% perfect to the bone people. Place is called PACC Auto.
But you won't need a jack to do the first step...tune up. The oil leak will only need you to get space under to see...car ramps will do too. Of course your major concern now is to locate someone or get something to get under that car to see where it is...
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Postby RustyKungFu » December 30th, 2011 10:50 PM

Okay, update time!!!

Oil leak was caused by the oil filter having come loose because whoever put it on didn't lube the seal and pinched the seal.

Overheating is caused by a blown head gasket. After putting all new oil in the engine, started the car, as it ran went to check coolant from the radiator before the engine could warm up. I walk over to the front of the car and twist the radiator cap, BOOM, the cap pops off as I twist, with coolant splattering everywhere. Turned the engine off. Take the head out. Inspect the block and intake. Block is fine The intake has grime in cylinder 2 and 1, cylinder 2 is filthier of the two. Who ever pulled the head off last, did not place it on properly by not torquing it to spec. Head now is at the machine shop for a resurfacing and pressure test. If there is any cracking in it and requires replacing should I look for a different build of head for more performance or one that is better than what comes in the F22B1?

I am hoping there is no cracks in the head at all, as I am told the head often cracks between the valve and spark plug.

I took the interior out of the car over these last couple of days to clean the dash and other bits. I replaced a few bulbs in the gauge cluster, the CEL was burnt out. I haven't cleaned the seats and carpet yet but I vacuumed them. Thoroughly cleaned the headliner and vinyl parts. The car is bone stock, body is good. I think this car is a great canvas to build upon. Later I think later on a H22 would be most fun to do in this car

I need to post pictures up. I will after this. Promise!

Oh and any admins would you please clear me to post in other parts of the forum. . .

RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Postby RustyKungFu » January 11th, 2012 06:26 AM

Hey everyone.

So I am now putting the engine back together. I ordered a bunch of new parts from HondaPartsCheap.com. Ordered Friday I got all the parts Tuesday. Fast delivery. The head came back in good order with the surface as shiny as chrome. Only cost $80 for pressure test, labor and surfacing.

Anyone in the LA area or South Bay that is looking for a great machine shop, I recommend Velios.

While the engine was taken apart I also cleaned the EGR plate out, the throttle body, injectors, vtec solenoid, inspected connectors. In the morning I will torque the heads bolts and valve train to spec and then check and adjust valve clearance. I can't wait for this car to come back to life.

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » January 11th, 2012 11:27 AM

When can I come visit?
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Postby RustyKungFu » January 12th, 2012 05:23 AM

Shoot me a PM SilverShadow.

It's up and running!!! Everything is good but......

.... while in DRIVE or any lower gears the engine will not exceed 5,250 RPMs. No CEL and no codes. When key is turned to ON CEL turns on and then shuts off, normal behavior. Engine will rev over 5,250 RpM if in PARK or NEUTRAL.

Oil has been changed with new oil filter, all new coolant, new NGK OEM spark plugs. New VTEC gasket and screen. Cam timing is 0 degrees TDC.

I haven't even checked or replaced the air filter yet, or the distributor and spark plug wires.

If you leave the car in 1st once you reach 5,250 RPMs it feels like a rev limiter kicks in, same for 2nd. Maybe the EGR valve is plugged? The plates canals were pretty bad. Maybe a bad coil in the distributor? Maybe a bad fuel injector? One of them when I cleaned it off I noticed its nozzle rotates freely.

Seeking solutions. Should my post be move to Engine & Driveline Tech?

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » January 12th, 2012 11:02 PM

I don't know the answers to any of the above since it's manual. You have looked into most of the obvious areas and I hope the other areas will do the trick. But I did drive a stick once and the rpm's you say at 1st seem very high for 1st gear. I have always used rpm limits for close to times of shift since my hearing is almost deft. But this was in a Toyota pick-up. I had first from 0-almost 1,500rpms second from there to around 3,100and so on. So 1st at over 5 seems real high! And yea..time to leave intro and go to other topics for this.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

manualsco
Wagoneer

Postby manualsco » February 14th, 2018 06:55 AM

You should download free Accord Wagon Repair Manuals.