Need to buy an EX 5 speed wagon! no low balling!

A place to request parts you need.
ashtone
Wagon Apprentice

Need to buy an EX 5 speed wagon! no low balling!

Postby ashtone » August 29th, 2015 12:11 PM

Seems like the best place to find what I need, which is an EX Wagon with a 5 speed. Must be absoluely rust-free. Color isn't a deal breaker, but any rust is. No LX considered; I want that moonroof. Here's my current 94 EX, with 235k, just starting to show the rear-quarter rust.
The parts are still available - factory inner and outer rear quarters. But after three bad body shop experiences, I'm not enthusiastic about paying huge money for lousy results. I live in Missouri, so Kansas City or ST Louis body shops aren't out of the question, but I don't like the idea of being so far away (150 miles) if I need to see something during the process.
Auto - manual swap has been considered and rejected due to my lack of enthusiasm for parting out all the left over automatic parts, and a derelict wagon in my driveway for months.
Haven't posted a pic of my wagon for a couple years, so here it is.

I will pay the money for the right car, no low balling.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n48 ... 0yfcdg.jpg

Ben
LT. Wagon to you !

Re: Need to buy an EX 5 speed wagon! no low balling!

Postby Ben » August 30th, 2015 06:30 PM

Good luck with your search. Took me about 8 years to find an original EX 5 speed in decent condition close to home. Finally found one in Oregon. I live in Washington state. I would regularly check WA and OR craigslist and usually only found LX's with H22 swaps. I still can't seem to find any solid info on how many EX 5 speeds were produced.
Garage: 94 Accord EX wagon 5 speed/ 97 Integra LS hatch 5 speed/ 03 Accord EXL coupe Auto (girlfriend's)

ashtone
Wagon Apprentice

Postby ashtone » September 1st, 2015 12:20 AM

Looks like a nice wagon! I am looking nationwide, but I'm not doing craigslist. The one I have took a year to find, and it was in Charlotte, NC. It was a 13 hour drive home. Maybe I'll do the transmission swap...

John

Postby John » September 29th, 2015 10:28 PM

I bought my wagon in CA 2-3 years ago and paid my son to drive it to MI for me. I paid more than it was worth ($5,000), but it was a 1997 EX with only 125k miles, no rust of any kind, paint still looked good, and the auto to manual swap had already been done. He was asking $6,000 and I wanted it, so I didn't try to beat him down too much.

Biggest problem after I got it was that there was some leakage past the piston rings. I pulled the head off and found the cylinder bore was still within new vehicle specs - I could even still see some of the original cross-hatching from the factory honing job. Problem was there was so much carbon in the rings that they couldn't move anymore. The original owner must have never done a hard acceleration. I just slapped some new rings in - didn't even bother to hone it - plus new rod bearings as long as I was in there. Runs great, almost no leakage in the cylinder, and virtually no oil consumption.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

Hodag
Wagon Owner

Postby Hodag » June 29th, 2016 09:05 PM

If Ashtone has found his, I want one, any year, must be a manual transmission EX, clean but doesn't need to be perfect. I'm in Wisconsin I can repair some minor rust.

My 1991 is a rust bucket, over 300K and I'd like one more to love. Best car I ever owned.

Lorenz
Wagoneer

Postby Lorenz » September 15th, 2016 06:57 PM

I am thinking about selling mine and I'm in Wisconsin financial issues or else I would keep it. Does have rear quarter rust but comes with patch panels.