What do y'all run for winter/snow tires???

To include Colorado, Kansas, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming.
CB9
Wagon Apprentice

What do y'all run for winter/snow tires???

Postby CB9 » October 16th, 2004 08:32 PM

I just put my all seasons/steelies back on today. Man those 15" steelies are heavy!

It hasn't snowed yet, but I feel it coming on! I have Yokohama studless snows on the wife's Integra and I have a set of crappy studded snows for my Civic, so I don't feel compelled to buy snow tires for the Accord. I'm hoping it's heavy enough that the 195/60-15s will cut through most storms OK.
"I'm involved in too many things - I have a web site I'm working on."

- Charles Manson

switches
aka portajohn

Postby switches » November 18th, 2004 02:23 PM

are the yokahoma studdless tires a good buy for the snow? i need to get snow tires for the 15's so i want to get some good ones that will not hurt my wallet

CB9
Wagon Apprentice

Postby CB9 » November 18th, 2004 03:42 PM

portajohn wrote:are the yokahoma studdless tires a good buy for the snow? i need to get snow tires for the 15's so i want to get some good ones that will not hurt my wallet

All modern studless snowtires (Yokohama Ice Guard, Bridgestone Blizzak, Dunlop Graspic, Michelin Artic-Alpin, Goodyear Ultragrip Ice) are incredibly kickass tires in snow and ice. I mean you can haul ass in a blizzard like an overconfident asshole in an SUV or AWD car on all seasons, but still be fairly safe.

However, you can't get great traction without accelerated wear, regardess of whether you're talking dry conditions or wet.

My front studless snows are worn about 1/3 down from new after only one winter season (and I pulled them off right around April when I was pretty sure it wasn't going to snow again). The ones that were on the rear still look pretty much brand new. I drove them SUPER easy too - never a burnout - even in snow or on wet pavement, ever cornered hard on them, etc. I put around 2,000 miles on them I'd guess. There's a reason there's NO treadwear rating on them!

The price you pay depends on the size. 195/60-15s are pretty cheap - only $61 each for Dunlop DS-2s at Discount Tire online w/ free ground shipping. 185/65-14's are only $55.

But if you want a performance size (or if you need something lower profile because your car is slammed), you'll pay a lot more - Blizzak LS-22 195/55-15's are $116 each at tirerack.com.

Bottom line - 4 new studless snowtires is always cheaper than putting your car into a curb, or worst case scenario - totalling your car or getting hurt. But I would not buy them without having (or planning on having) another set of dedicated summer tires - you'll trash them immediately if you try to use them all the time.
"I'm involved in too many things - I have a web site I'm working on."

- Charles Manson