Anyone near San Diego have an 1996-1997 EX Wagon ECM

To include California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and the Pacific Islands.
RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Anyone near San Diego have an 1996-1997 EX Wagon ECM

Post by RustyKungFu » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 am

My car will not start after replacing the engine. I did, but now won't

So far replaced MAIN RELAY(new), the IGNITION SWITCH tests as good, I have spark from the dizzy. When I turn the key to II the dash lights up, including CEL but does not prime fuel pump. Fuel pump works though, on occasion after waiting 5-10 seconds pump primes and the self check occurs then the CEL turns off and you can then START the engine.

I refuse to believe the ECM is bad, I think there is a short in engine harness from the MAIN RELAY to the ECM.

After having the car run a few times, it will not start at all. CEL stay on all the time. I can force the MAIN RELAY to send current to the FUEL PUMP but when I crank the starter I get no power the the FUEL INJECTORS, FUEL RAIL has pressure from the pump.

Either there is a short in the harness, the ECM has failed(rare) or possibly the crank position sensor is in wrong, but if there was an issue with that sensor a code would trip.

It'd be really awesome if someone near North San Diego County has an extra ECM for a EX - OBDII to let me test with.

RustyKungFu
Wagoneer

Re: Anyone near San Diego have an 1996-1997 EX Wagon ECM

Post by RustyKungFu » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:31 am

Never mind.

I was right. ECM is good. Car is running, engine harness has a short or exposed wiring. Gonna pull the harness and closely inspect it and repair as needed.

I am now experiencing Code 6 and Code 21.

Gonna follow the Service Manual.