No MPH and No check Engine Light

Post any known problems with the 5th Gen Accord Wagon here.
bornmad
Come on.. Ask me a Wagon Question

No MPH and No check Engine Light

Postby bornmad » July 26th, 2010 02:38 PM

So i went to drop some boxes off at the store and be speed concious as I am, I know my Speedo was working. When I left, i noticed it wasn't. It didnt flash a check engine light and now i am curious if this is related to the P740 (torque converter) light i get randomly. So my question to you is this. With no Check Engine light, do you think this is Speedo or VSS? if its the Speedo, how do i get the current miliage onto the new one. My wagon only has 65k on it.
Dr. Daze!
Rolling Around Denver, CO
*** 2012 TSX Wagon ***

smoov_w4gon
General Wagon to you.. soldier

Re: No MPH and No check Engine Light

Postby smoov_w4gon » July 26th, 2010 04:58 PM

im having a similar problem. i changed out the VSS on my car, but still got a check engine light and the speedo doesnt work. from what i have been told, you need a new speedometer or the entire gauge cluster. there is no way to transfer over miles you have on a different set of gauges. just have to keep track of your miles. you can buy a new speedometer, but the cheapest i found was like 160. just for the speedo gauge. im gonna just get new gauges all together. cus there may also be a short circuit in the gauges causing this problem. hope this helps a bit.
Women are like cars: we all want a Ferrari, sometimes want a pickup truck, and end up with a station wagon.

xetpirc
LT. Wagon to you !

Postby xetpirc » July 26th, 2010 07:43 PM

:evil: First check your fuse box maybe you got a blown fuse.This happen to me before,what I do it take the speedometer out and check all the conections and that the rear filament panel its ok,most of the Honda with this problem it this panel.Sometimes the gears from the speedometer just broke causing this problem also.

bornmad

Postby bornmad » July 26th, 2010 11:45 PM

Honda wanted $90 to install this speed sensor. Thanks you Al Gore for the Internet (enough with the politics) I found the location of the speed sensor and replaced it. Speedo started working right away. The only weird thing that happened when I first drove it to 25 the Speedo went back to 0 and back to 25. I am thinking the pin must have been setting or initialization of the sensor. My big concern was since my car is ODB1 converted to ODB2 (from the import), if the speed sensor was the same and if it would throw a CEL code.

The one I pulled from the car was gritty and the drive pin was sticky. Not sure if that was normal, but when I got the car there was a bad VTEC seal leak (now fixed). Hopefully she will give me more maintenance free issues. This CE-1 has been a PITA! However, it’s a labor of love. Total work took less than an hour to do the actual work.
:supz:
Dr. Daze!
*** 2012 TSX Wagon ***

bornmad

Postby bornmad » July 29th, 2010 01:23 PM

Well how wrong i was. Went to work today and no Speedo again. Frustration Nation. Next Speedo back! Thanks guys for having tips on how to replace the Speedo Back!
Dr. Daze!
*** 2012 TSX Wagon ***

xetpirc
LT. Wagon to you !

Postby xetpirc » July 29th, 2010 01:58 PM

:evil: Didyou buy a new one or a used one?cause if your speedo work when you change the VSS that mean that your speedo its ok.

bornmad

Postby bornmad » July 29th, 2010 06:44 PM

xetpirc wrote::evil: Didyou buy a new one or a used one?cause if your speedo work when you change the VSS that mean that your speedo its ok.

Its intermittant. If i dont drive it for a while it works. sometimes going down the freeway, it will bounce from 70 to 0 and back to 70. I was putting my money on the VSS since everything seemed to point to it minus the check engine light. *shrug* Tomorrow I will pull the cluster and do surgery. I found a cluster from a junk yard that is gaurenteed to work so i am going swap the boards. I wish i had some carbon fiber indiglo gauges to put on while i had it pulled. oh well, another project for another day! JDM CE-1, its a labor of love.
Dr. Daze!
*** 2012 TSX Wagon ***

ndiehm
Wagon Apprentice

Postby ndiehm » July 30th, 2010 07:53 PM

does your cruise control work? if your cruise works then its the speedo. if it doesn't then it the VSS. I had this same problem and a VSS fixed it right away

bornmad

Postby bornmad » July 31st, 2010 01:42 PM

ndiehm wrote:does your cruise control work? if your cruise works then its the speedo. if it doesn't then it the VSS. I had this same problem and a VSS fixed it right away

i would have tried that, but not cruise on a JDM CE-1. Would love to add it. Already cost me 1 speeding ticket. hehe!
Dr. Daze!
*** 2012 TSX Wagon ***

s13_nobling
Wagon Owner

Postby s13_nobling » February 12th, 2014 10:36 PM

I had the same issue withe the speedo intermittently working - it was the speedometer head. I bought a new one (OEM) and installed it. Problem solved. If you go that route , make sure and get a sticker for your lower B pillar , stating the speedo has been replaced.
1997 Accord Wagon EX Auto -
1999 Civic Coupe EX - 5-speed - Sold =(

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0
2003 Pontiac Vibe - Base- Auto

bornmad

Postby bornmad » February 15th, 2014 12:46 AM

s13_nobling wrote:I had the same issue withe the speedo intermittently working - it was the speedometer head. I bought a new one (OEM) and installed it. Problem solved. If you go that route , make sure and get a sticker for your lower B pillar , stating the speedo has been replaced.

I'll do you one better. Replace just the board on the back of the speedo. That way you dont have ti play with the sticker or start back at 0 miles.
Dr. Daze!
*** 2012 TSX Wagon ***