Vibration at idle!! Help

Post any known problems with the 5th Gen Accord Wagon here.
f22angel
Wagon Apprentice

Vibration at idle!! Help

Postby f22angel » September 13th, 2015 07:55 PM

Well when I first start the wagon it feels right, I allways warm it up like 2-3 minutes, then I drive it, it seems to be at 800RPM when is still cold at gear, it does not vibrate at this time, then after drive it a few minutes when it is between 700-900RPM even in gear, Park or N, steering wheel shakes a lot! I can even see it moving, But if RPMs go down or high than that, vibrations in stering wheel are less or disapear, then I turn off the car and let it sit for a while, when I come back and drive it vibrations are less and less until the car reach normal operating temperature vibrations are gone at any RPM, So, it only vibrates when is between hot and cold at those RPM range (it feels great when cold or at normal operating temperature).
All engine mounts are new (bought them last year) except the tranny one but it is still good. I also noticed that it vibrates less when I unplug the rear mount vaccum solenoid, could that be the problem?
I have NGK platinum alloy spark plugs.
Also when the mounts were changed last year, I changed both timing belts and water pump. Can balancer shaft be the faulty?
What do you guys think could be the problem?
-1994 Accord Wagon USDM EX
Image Image

John

Re: Vibration at idle!! Help

Postby John » September 15th, 2015 08:47 PM

Balance shaft is going to have the same effect all the time, so it wouldn't cause what you describe.

Does this happen when the engine is under load (cruise or acceleration), or only at idle?

Really sounds like a misfire to me. The fact that it only occurs between cold and warm suggests that the air/fuel mixture is not combusting on every spark event. And the extreme vibration suggests that it might be only one or two cylinders that are misfiring. Could be any number of causes for this - low engine compression, air/fuel ratio off, weak spark, ignition timing off.

A couple relatively easy things to check are spark plug wires and ignition timing.

BTW, with modern engines and especially modern engine oils it isn't necessary to warm up the engine for 2-3 minutes before driving. In fact, extended idle on a cold engine is not really good for it. You should be driving off within 10-15 seconds of starting the engine (gently, of course). It might help with your vibration as well, depending on what is causing it.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

f22angel
Wagon Apprentice

Postby f22angel » September 16th, 2015 05:55 PM

John wrote:
Does this happen when the engine is under load (cruise or acceleration), or only at idle?

It also vibrates a little when is between 1750-2000 RPM but it is barely noticiable, I know is vibrating because I see it in the rear view mirror and also makes a noise in the engine compartment but I dont know where it comes from.

I had the head rebuilded last year, and mechanic told me compression was ok, I rebuilded head because water pump and timing belt broke, and it bent some valves.

I also noticed this morning doing a test with carb cleaner that I have a small vaccum leak in the intake manifold gasket, can this cause some kind of vibration too?

I really dont know where to start :sad: :cry:
Image Image

John

Postby John » September 17th, 2015 09:35 PM

Definitely get your vacuum leak fixed. This can cause misfire, especially at idle and low engine speeds, as the manifold has very high vacuum at low loads, which pulls air through the leak.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

f22angel
Wagon Apprentice

Postby f22angel » September 20th, 2015 06:27 PM

I already bought the intake gaskets, once I put them on, I'll let you know if that fixed the problem!
Image Image