Distributor seals Oil leak

Post any known problems with the 5th Gen Accord Wagon here.
wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Distributor seals Oil leak

Postby wagon97 » October 21st, 2014 09:19 AM

For those who don't know where oil is coming from on the left top side of engine (facing engine) it could most likely be your distributor seals. Oil tends to leak right onto the heater core hose and that hose becomes soft and can burst. I just changed my seals and replaced my hose which was way softer than I thought!! Don't put it off!! There are lots of info on the web about this. My distributor is a hitachi.

If anyone is interested I will add info in diy section. Pics are of the heater core hose that becomes soft and inner and outer distributor seals which become hard and brittle.

Last edited by wagon97 on October 26th, 2014 02:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

John

Re: Distributor seals Oil leak

Postby John » October 23rd, 2014 09:58 PM

Thanks for the excellent pictures. Really show the problem.
1997 Accord EX 5-speed wagon (auto to 5-speed swap)

AndyD
Wagoneer

Postby AndyD » November 24th, 2014 07:47 PM

I just found out my distributor seal was the problem with my car. My trans kept getting oil all over the top of it. Had a feeling it was the seal. Confirmed today it is!

Thanks for the heads up!

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Postby wagon97 » December 8th, 2014 10:02 AM

Good Luck with it. I would plan on changing that hose also. There are a couple of different steps/procedures you will have to do depending on year of your wagon and type of distributor. Different seals for different distributors also. So just beware of that. I bought seals off of ebay.