cooling fans

Post any known problems with the 5th Gen Accord Wagon here.
speedfr3ak
Wagon Owner

cooling fans

Postby speedfr3ak » November 18th, 2013 11:51 AM

guys im new here had a cb7 since 2003 [still have my 93 h swapped sedan] but any way guys do the fans turn on after the car is off ? i just never hear them when car is on ? car is a 96 ce1 wagon .....thanks guys

BoyHLUB
Come on.. Ask me a Wagon Question

Re: cooling fans

Postby BoyHLUB » December 5th, 2013 10:11 PM

yes the fans do still go on when the car is off when it senses that the coolant needs additional cooling (particularly on a hot day or after a long drive). they also go on when the engine is running and the temp climbs-if you can't hear it you should be able to see them kick on and off with engine on as some engines are a bit noisy. When the car is off, I personally found it annoying because it would always trigger my passive alarm whenever it detects a slight volt change in the chassis. Honda designed it that way I guess like many other cars
--- Live for nothing or die for something. -John Rambo
'97 CE1 EX leather interior-Heather

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » December 6th, 2013 03:04 AM

Also annoying is the person who yells at you after you park...."Hey your engine is still running..."
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

BoyHLUB

Postby BoyHLUB » December 6th, 2013 03:21 PM

Lol Steve true that also. I've had people parked next to me or walk by tell me that too

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Postby wagon97 » December 7th, 2013 09:53 PM

Just Curious about how everybody's fans work or should work. Lets say you drive for an hour on the highway in 70 degree weather. When you stop does your fan come on??

What percentage of the time when you turn your car off does the fan come on??

Thanks just trying to figure out a few things with my fans??

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » December 8th, 2013 06:43 PM

Since I'm on more than one site that has specks of out Honda's ...This subject comes up often. I think right now it's a running topic on CB7tuner.com. and I posted about this I think on Angels' site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/401375999949121/
I wish I can tell you for sure what it's suppose to do, but all I have read is it come on while you're diving just as much as after you've shut it off. Of course when you park the fan can be heard better. Mine does go on and depending on the temp of the coolant will run for different lengths of time.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Postby wagon97 » December 8th, 2013 09:39 PM

Thanks silver. I believe I will have to change my fan sensor switch. Most likely will wait till summer. I can only recall my fan coming on once when my car was turned off. My car temp gauge is always just above 1/4 (I guess more like at 3/8). I've read that some people think that the car is running hot if it comes on most of the time when the car is shut off. I have also read the opposite in that it is normal to come on frequently when the car is shut off.

I guess since I've only noticed it once my sensor is most likely bad. It does energize the fan when I jump it so its either a bad sensor or the car is just not hot enough to call for the fan.

I will check out those links.

BoyHLUB

Postby BoyHLUB » December 12th, 2013 01:41 AM

Try swapping out the thermostat & O ring first ($20 and a 1 hour job located under the intake throttle). when it fails, they either stay open or closed. in your case, it is possible that it stayed open tricking your fans to not come on when they should. It's always a good idea to swap it out anyway if you don't know when the last time it was changed.

wagon97
Wagon Apprentice

Postby wagon97 » December 14th, 2013 11:34 AM

Thanks, My temperature gauge always reads the same (normal position)and car runs good. Ill have to try swapping the sensor fan switch. I also think it is stuck open. I do actually have a the thermostat already waiting to go in whenever I get around to doing timing belt job.

Thanks again

5Door
LT. Wagon to you !

Postby 5Door » December 21st, 2013 07:43 PM

it works when i'm driving and i have also heard it still running after parking...

my civics did the same thing... i guess its the difference between electric fans and clutch fans...

96' CE1 Lx - Wags
03' TL type S - Currently broken :(

speedfr3ak
Wagon Owner

Postby speedfr3ak » February 12th, 2014 11:17 AM

it might run after for a lil im not sure ! cb7 DOES NOT DO THIS! THEY DONT WORK ON CB7