New Issue: Rust, oh no

Post any known problems with the 5th Gen Accord Wagon here.
krc91987
Wagon Owner

New Issue: Rust, oh no

Postby krc91987 » December 28th, 2011 09:07 PM

So the other day I was getting gas, and I happened to look at my roof, I don't know why but I did, and I saw this weird white spot in the middle. I thought it was a flower petal or a wet piece of paper or something at first, but I hate random nature stuff on my car so i stood on the door sill and tried to get it off. Well it turns out it was a sizable piece of missing paint, not clear-coat, but actual green paint. I investigated a little more and it turns out there is a rusty crack in the paint/metal there maybe an inch long or so. I also noticed a big crack on the driver side C pillar, maybe 3 inches long, that I had never seen before, so I went from having what I thought was a solid wagon to now I'm worried its going to rust apart, awesome!!

Has anyone else had rust issues in these areas, or am I lucky enough to be the only one. Also has anyone had major rust repaired and what was the cost.
Daily duty

krc91987
Wagon Owner

Re: New Issue: Rust, oh no

Postby krc91987 » January 1st, 2012 11:46 PM

Well I went to a body shop recommended to me by a friend to get an estimate. He said there had been previous body work on that side of the car and the crack was bondo that had not been prepped properly the first time. As for the roof he really didn't seem concerned he told me to put some touch up paint on it and it should be fine. Anyway the quote to fix it properly was $750, and could go up from there depending on what they find when they get in there, I'm gonna do some home fixes and hope that holds for a while, not worth the money in my opinion.
Daily duty

Kellen
Administrator

Postby Kellen » January 2nd, 2012 06:07 PM

yeah for that price i'd save a bit more and have the whole car prepped right and repainted. just try to keep it covered as best as you can so you have time to save for the paint work. if there is one thing not to skimp on it's body work and a paint job, a good paint job with work would be starting around 1200 at least.
***CE Chassis = Pimp Status*** :thumbright:
"Stomping sports cars with a 5 door"

krc91987
Wagon Owner

Postby krc91987 » January 3rd, 2012 12:46 AM

Well unfortunately the plan is to keep it going until I get a new car, I love my wagon but with a purchase price of only $600 I cant see spending 3x that, on body work and paint, if money was no object I would do it but until I win the lottery that wont be the case.
Daily duty

Kellen
Administrator

Postby Kellen » January 3rd, 2012 11:49 PM

well just keep it well maintained, try not to damage it anymore than it is. things like this are expected on such an old car, especially if you live up north.
***CE Chassis = Pimp Status*** :thumbright:
"Stomping sports cars with a 5 door"