won't start

Post any known problems with the 4th Generation Accord Wagon
killerwagon
Wagoneer

won't start

Postby killerwagon » April 16th, 2011 05:20 PM

I have a 92 accord wagon that has been sitting since 2007. The heater core hose busted and was replaced. The end of the cam assembly cracked where the distributor bolts in. it has been replaced this year and now it won’t start. The oil and battery light stays on in the on position. Can anybody help me?

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Re: won't start

Postby SilverShadow » April 17th, 2011 10:11 PM

Sitting for 4 years was it ever turned over now and then or always broken? If sitting, you have two issues that I have read about. One is liquid and the other electrical. You said you replaced some cracked parts.. so hopefully they may not be the problem. After sitting for so long, you know you'll need to go over every fuse, and every electrical part,every connection. If your battery is fine and the fuses are good (80amp very important) then check with Ohmmeter each. Once you know all the electrical parts are what they should be and you turn the key and it cranks but won't move, then it's time to check the moving parts if they are rusted, or clogged. Totally replace all fluids making sure old is out.NEVER run water to flush! Try again. If this all this doesn't get it to turn over, then...I would have to tell a local mechanic I trust about all the things I did so far and the results. You may have missed something. I have gladly went step by step until. I got as far as Main relay on one and 80amp on the coupe. Fired up like a dragon after each fix. This is my experience and I am by far(very far) no expert: Just a dad with a lot of time now to read car stuff on the computer, try to DIM (Do it myself) and relating it to you.

If I had to guess....I would check all above and mostly the distributor...and make sure spark and gas going to engine.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

killerwagon
Wagoneer

Postby killerwagon » April 18th, 2011 06:11 PM

SilverShadow wrote:Sitting for 4 years was it ever turned over now and then or always broken? If sitting, you have two issues that I have read about. One is liquid and the other electrical. You said you replaced some cracked parts.. so hopefully they may not be the problem. After sitting for so long, you know you'll need to go over every fuse, and every electrical part,every connection. If your battery is fine and the fuses are good (80amp very important) then check with Ohmmeter each. Once you know all the electrical parts are what they should be and you turn the key and it cranks but won't move, then it's time to check the moving parts if they are rusted, or clogged. Totally replace all fluids making sure old is out.NEVER run water to flush! Try again. If this all this doesn't get it to turn over, then...I would have to tell a local mechanic I trust about all the things I did so far and the results. You may have missed something. I have gladly went step by step until. I got as far as Main relay on one and 80amp on the coupe. Fired up like a dragon after each fix. This is my experience and I am by far(very far) no expert: Just a dad with a lot of time now to read car stuff on the computer, try to DIM (Do it myself) and relating it to you.

If I had to guess....I would check all above and mostly the distributor...and make sure spark and gas going to engine.

it was broked. the top piece of metal were you bolt in the distrubtor. I'm getting spark

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » April 23rd, 2011 11:25 PM

So it was always broken where you bolt in the distributor? (sorry I hate misspelled words) Did you fix that? Well then on to other areas. Check the main relay or better yet after being in a hot or cold car it could be cracked. If you don't know where it is, ask or search on here. The fuel in the tank and fuel pump will be full of sediments after that long too. You got some work to do.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

dj_gallito83
Ruler of Wagons !

Postby dj_gallito83 » May 19th, 2011 10:01 PM

battery light will come on due to a bad alternator or broken belt. Check your belts. See if your getting 14v out of the alternator. Oil light could be bad oil pressure switch, bad oil pump or bent oil pickup tube. I would try to do a oil change. Could be clogged up.

dj_gallito83
Ruler of Wagons !

Postby dj_gallito83 » May 19th, 2011 10:05 PM

Oo snap, I just totaly misread your problem lol... Ignore what I wrote. Is it just clicking or cranking with no start?

killerwagon
Wagoneer

Postby killerwagon » July 21st, 2011 08:18 PM

Cranking but wont start

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » July 23rd, 2011 02:04 PM

Did you replace the main relay like I suggested? Cranking and not turning over is the clue. I don't think it would even crank if the distributor is faulty. Again..the main relay is probably the cause. It "tells" the fuel pump "hey..wake up! get some gas up to the engine" otherwise your fuel pump would always be pumping gas even when ignition is off. It works something like that. Of course other players are in it too...but it's safe to go for the supplier's brain first. Cranking is good...no sound is worse.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

dj_gallito83
Ruler of Wagons !

Postby dj_gallito83 » July 24th, 2011 10:15 PM

Have someone try to start the car while u smack the gas tank with a rubber mallet

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Postby SilverShadow » July 24th, 2011 10:17 PM

dj_gallito83 wrote:Have someone try to start the car while u smack the gas tank with a rubber mallet

Seriously?
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

dj_gallito83
Ruler of Wagons !

Postby dj_gallito83 » September 1st, 2011 07:48 PM

Yea.. That's a quick way to tell if ur pump is bad.