My dr door is stuck shut!!! Help please

Post any known problems with the 4th Generation Accord Wagon
Chaos325
LT. Wagon to you !

My dr door is stuck shut!!! Help please

Post by Chaos325 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:01 am

Okay so I was at work last night and I went to my next drop-off and my door didn't want to open. I finished braking the interior handle trying to get it off. I threw on a spare handle. I rolled down the window and tried opening it using the exterior handle but nothing. I ended up crawling through the passenger door. Locks and unlocks fine and the associated rods are moving but the door is not releasing!

My dad said the door latch went and I called the dealer about 5mins ago and they want $247.73 special order :o ! I'm gonna go grab 2 from the junker off of 90-91 4dr sedans and see if they work. What involved with changing out the latch with the door stuck shut?

I guess I'd have to remove the drivers seat, pry the panel off and try to break the latch to get it to open? Then once open replace and reassemble. Do I need to remove the window?

Help guys, I can't continue to crawl through the passenger door, I have bad legs with screws & osteoarthritis in them :cry: .

jarhead293

Post by jarhead293 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:37 pm

lol, that sux man. ask buki i think he had posted somehting about this once. of course i had the same issue and i got mad and just cut the door open and went to the junkyard to buy another one,lol.
1997 Accord SIR RHD

Chaos325
LT. Wagon to you !

Post by Chaos325 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:25 am

yeah, a few guys on cb7 forum told me how to get the panel off without breakin. I just got break the latch off.

Hey the one I got from the junker has a gray plug & a white one. My wagon has 2 white plugs.

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:27 am

ever thought about making a sun/moon roof? :smt044
'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

Chaos325
LT. Wagon to you !

Post by Chaos325 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:38 am

SilverShadow wrote:ever thought about making a sun/moon roof? :smt044
wtf is that supposed to mean? :roll:

Solsurf
Wagon Owner

Post by Solsurf » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:24 am

jiraphe
LT. Wagon to you !

Post by jiraphe » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:56 am

I think silver was just trying to make a funny. Like "why don't you just cut a hole in the roof to climb in and out of." I'm sure he didn't mean for it to get under your skin.

If I were you, I would probably just go buy another door, and bust that one off.

Chaos325
LT. Wagon to you !

Post by Chaos325 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:05 am

yeah I had that link. I got another latch. Gonna have to wait till tomorrow ccause it looks like its gonna pour.

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:03 pm

jiraphe wrote:I think silver was just trying to make a funny. Like "why don't you just cut a hole in the roof to climb in and out of." I'm sure he didn't mean for it to get under your skin.

If I were you, I would probably just go buy another door, and bust that one off.

Yeah that is the way I meant it EXACTLY! Sorry but I get that way sometimes....ok all the time. I'm wondering if there isn't some kind if hole in the door that you could put a screwdriver in to manipulate the latch? If someone here knows or remembers what triggers the latch to open, maybe going in like removal of the window regulator to investigate. I truley don't know how the thing works since I never looked at it when I removed the regulator. Good luck.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

Chaos325
LT. Wagon to you !

Post by Chaos325 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:48 pm

SilverShadow wrote:
jiraphe wrote:I think silver was just trying to make a funny. Like "why don't you just cut a hole in the roof to climb in and out of." I'm sure he didn't mean for it to get under your skin.

Yeah that is the way I meant it EXACTLY! Sorry but I get that way sometimes....ok all the time. I'm wondering if there isn't some kind if hole in the door that you could put a screwdriver in to manipulate the latch? If someone here knows or remembers what triggers the latch to open, maybe going in like removal of the window regulator to investigate. I truley don't know how the thing works since I never looked at it when I removed the regulator. Good luck.

Yeah, sorry - I overreacted. This climbing in and out is really killing my legs. Nope, no manipulation. I'm gonna try grinding down the top 2 screws off of the threaded plate then break it off. Then I can release the latch and go easy from there.

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:57 pm

Before you go do all that, consider the main problem: What made it not open? If you go and put a new one in and never find what made the latch stay closed. you'll be doing the Dukes of Hazard entry again. I'm no mechanic, but I like to take things apart once they brake and find out why they broke. Sometimes I do find the reason and most I end up with a pile of parts that look nothing like the product. All I'm saying is hold off till one of the guys here (or yourself ) finds the answers or reasons it won't budge. Then wack the hell out of it!
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

Chaos325
LT. Wagon to you !

Post by Chaos325 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:24 am

SilverShadow wrote:Before you go do all that, consider the main problem: What made it not open? If you go and put a new one in and never find what made the latch stay closed. you'll be doing the Dukes of Hazard entry again. I'm no mechanic, but I like to take things apart once they brake and find out why they broke. Sometimes I do find the reason and most I end up with a pile of parts that look nothing like the product. All I'm saying is hold off till one of the guys here (or yourself ) finds the answers or reasons it won't budge. Then wack the hell out of it!

Yeah I'm back in action! I was hopping over yesterday and almost dislocated my leg. I went and grabbed my 14" cement chisel. I grinded it down to a nice shape edge and grabbed my hammer. I removed the driver seat and starting wahcking away. An hour later I took a brake and went for some chelas (Coronas). I was walking around the wagon with my 12pk in hand and it just clicked. I had remove the exterior handle and as I walked around my vision lined up with the plastic portion of the top of the latch!!!

I unbolted the lower bolt of the windows rail and moved it out the way. I started hitting it with the chisel through the handle opening. 20 mins later after my break, I could see the top of the rotor. The rotating portion of the latch that spins and lock. I took a long flat head and rotated it and it opened!

Wiring was a bitch and not completed because I used latch from a power seatbelt model. But it opens and closes like new now!!!

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Post by SilverShadow » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:09 am

So I guess the last part of my reply was taken seriouly? Sure, when in doubt....Whack the hell out of it! ( the corona helped too). Glad it worked.
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

Chaos325
LT. Wagon to you !

Post by Chaos325 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:34 pm

SilverShadow wrote:So I guess the last part of my reply was taken seriouly? Sure, when in doubt....Whack the hell out of it! ( the corona helped too). Glad it worked.

I double checked all the connected rods and grease the entire assembly with wd-40. WHen I got the latch out, I noticed a broken spring behind the rotating rotor piece.

surf_wagon
Wagoneer

Re: My dr door is stuck shut!!! Help please

Post by surf_wagon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Just started having the same issue with my 91 Accord EX Wagon. It stinks! I'm guessing it's the door latch. If anyone knows of a solid mechanic in Southern California, San Diego preferable, that could help me please let me know. Thanks.