FUEL PUMP

Post any known problems with the 4th Generation Accord Wagon
killerwagon
Wagoneer

FUEL PUMP

Postby killerwagon » July 21st, 2011 08:07 PM

DO I HAVE TO DROP THE FUEL TANK TO GET TO THE FUEL PUMP. I FOUND THE FLOAT. I THOUGHT THERE WAS ACESS TO IF IF FROM INSIDE THE CAR.

IM NOT GETTTING GAS TO THE FUEL RAIL

SilverShadow
has the most posts !

Re: FUEL PUMP

Postby SilverShadow » July 23rd, 2011 02:08 PM

'92 LX Wagon-Steve - STOLEN (9/3/12)
'92 LX Wagon-Steve-New
2000 EX Coupe -Joe
ACCORDS ALL THE WAY!

Kenrico
Wagoneer

Postby Kenrico » August 28th, 2011 02:38 PM

SilverShadow wrote:Check the main relay FIRST!
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=53888

Had an issue happen twice - very weird . Reminded me of vapor lock characteristics , but have heard all referred to main relay and one to distributor (where the old style points would sit)

Have had zero issues with the nice 93 Accord Wagon EX with 5 speed bought used 2 monthes ago with 118k miles , except :

Driving , turned right hard , twice - monthes apart . Both times the engine stopped running almost immediately. Both times car would crank strong but not start .

First time was turning sharp to the right quickly onto a freeway onramp . engine would crank but not start. Let sit 5 minutes , removed and reinstalled fuel cap , and car started and drove for next two monthes problem free . Thought it was a weird vapor lock, sediment/filter/tank a momentary interuption of fuel .

Yesterday drove 15 miles across town and 'Whipped " into a parking lot . Steering got heavy and rolled into parking space before realizing that the engine was not running any longer . When I came back out car exhibited same symptoms : cranks but would not start . HOUR later , checked all fuses, tried starting a few times -hopeful . Wife came picked up the baby while I was arguing with AAA about projected charges for add'l few miles to tow & decided to try 'one more time' . Actually wife was cracking and I was peering into the valve cover to confirm rocker/cam action - then it seemed to catch for a second . Then it started and drove home no issues .

Anyway doing some investigation, am hearing over and over - main relay, fuel relay , intermittant . Would this cause the scenario above . Are they both referring to the same relay ? Only other issue Ive been able to ascertain is the cruise control will not engage/try to engage. Light illuminates on the CC switch when pressed but can't get it to engage and the CC light in the instrument cluster never comes on .

Any suggestions or feedback are welcome

Pai
Wagon Apprentice

Postby Pai » July 15th, 2012 11:29 AM

Wat up bro. I'm having the same issue I changed the main relay still crancks but don't stay on.

Hodag
Wagon Owner

Postby Hodag » September 23rd, 2015 11:56 AM

killerwagon wrote:DO I HAVE TO DROP THE FUEL TANK TO GET TO THE FUEL PUMP. I FOUND THE FLOAT. I THOUGHT THERE WAS ACESS TO IF IF FROM INSIDE THE CAR.

IM NOT GETTTING GAS TO THE FUEL RAIL

I know it's old and maybe it will help someone else.

I had similar symptoms. Car would decide not to start at random. I'd wait 15 minutes, it would start and run for months. Finally going up a hill, no power, died. I coasted back down (backwards on the highway, which was amusing) into a parking lot. Called AAA. While I was waiting, no start.

The usual routine for me, pull the plugs, remove the oil. Drop some Heet, in each cylinder. Open the gas cap and replace, just in case.

Half hour later, decided to start. I made another run up the hill, dead. So back down to the parking lot.

Got to the service place and he said "No fuel pressure" = needed a fuel pump.

Well you can imagine on a 1991 Accord wagon, this is going to be interesting. New gas tank, straps, relay, sending unit, fuel pump and he said something about connections? And to answer the first part of the OP - yes you need to drop the tank, to get to the fuel pump. However there is a small hole under the rear seat, which I believe you can access the top of the fuel tank.

I spend a bunch of money saving the car, because it's the best car I ever owned. It's got 293,000 miles and I wasn't going to give up 7000 short! :partyman: After the new fuel pump, the car started perfect and had more power and zip than ever. I suspect I've been driving for a couple years, with a weak fuel pump.

What I wonder, and I'm not much of a mechanic, is could someone mount an electric fuel pump under the hood, and avoid all this expensive and difficult work?

Return to “4th Gen Known Problems”